July 20, 2020
During this pandemic of COVID-19, it is very important to wear masks and wash your hands regularly. Due to the long periods of wearing masks your skin can get irritated and damaged. As well as washing hands too frequently can cause your skin to wrinkle. These measures are key to reducing the spread but still affect your skin. We want you to know how to keep your skin healthy during COVID-19. Mainly that affecting your hand and face.
As Covid-19 is still on the rise keeping your hands clean and sanitized is very important. The Center for Disease Control or CDC as well recommends washing your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. You could also use a hand sanitizer with 60% alcohol.
Your hand generates natural oil to keep your skin safe but due to repeated washing and hand sanitizers, it gets stripped away. Learn How To Keep Your Skin Healthy During Covid-19. To avoid dealing with any dry or cracked skin we have a few tips to keep in mind:
- Hot water can damage your skin so instead, it is better to use cool or lukewarm water. Cool water is more helpful when dealing with germs and keeps your hands from being damaged.
- Antibacterial cleansers should be avoided as they aren’t that effective and irritate your skin.
- When using disinfectants to clean surfaces a good idea would be to wear gloves as some chemicals in these products can negatively affect your skin.
- Moisturizing is one of the most important things for your skin. After washing your hand and drying them, apply plenty of moisturizers.
- A good idea would be to overlap the moisturizer with another heavier moisturizer to keep all the water in your skin. Oil-based moisturizers are also a very good product to use.
- Don’t wait for your skin to get dry or cracked. Apply moisturizer beforehand. As they say, prevention is better than cure.
In many states, it has become mandatory to wear masks when out. Wearing masks for such long periods is not healthy for your skin at all. As it damages the skin on your chin, cheeks, and bridge of the nose. Sometimes it even occurs behind the ears. It leads to rashes and itchiness, and due to having the mask on all the time it even causes acne breakouts. Help keep your face safe during all this here are some tips:
- You should create a skincare routine you follow regularly, like every time you use a mask. Clean and moisturize your skin using non-comedogenic products that don’t block your pores.
- Avoid using heavy-duty creams and moisturizers like petrolatum jelly. As this can get in the way of the functions of the mask. Using a more water-soluble moisturizer will prove more effective.
- The friction caused by the mask on your face can cause your skin to get dry and crack. To avoid any skin injuries a good idea would be to use a barrier ointment such as zinc oxide on the bridge of your nose and behind your ears as most friction occurs in these places.
- Bandages can be placed between the pressure points on your face. Using bandages or dressings for cooling relief is good as well. As your mask traps all the heat inside.
- Blisters can easily occur by wearing masks as they form in heat. If you notice a blister keep a protective barrier between the mask and the blister using a bandage.
- Acne can be treated by regularly cleaning your face and moisturizing when you remove your mask. You can use acne treatment products to get rid of it. Don’t pop or squeeze the pimples as it can lead to inflammation or infection of the surrounding area.
Skin Care isn’t affected only by what products you use. What you eat and how much sleep you get plays a major role in this. As everyone is not staying at home due to the Covid-19 now is a good time to start eating better and sleeping more. Here are some tips for your diet on how to keep your skin healthy:
- Don’t overload your body with just carbs and sugar. Any one type of diet is not good. Keep all your food balanced to avoid breakouts and acne from resurfacing.
- It is important to keep hydrated as it is directly involved with skincare. It is estimated that you need around 2-3 liters of water daily to keep your skin healthy.
During Quarantine everyone’s sleep schedule has been messed up. It is important to give your body and mind rest. So even if you stay up late it is important to keep a check on your body. Here are some tips on how to keep your skin healthy during Covid-19:
- Take some time during the day to rest your body. Doing any relaxing activity to help your body calm down. Even if you’re not sleepy you could meditate for a while to calm yourself.
- Getting sleep is very important though excessively sleeping during the day is not a good idea as it negatively affects your body.
- As all gyms are closed it is important to get your exercise done at home. You could even try new activities like yoga.
- Another important task is to stay away from electronics mainly screens as watching too much tv or staying on your phone for too long can not only damage your eyes but radiate effects on your skin.
- Staying on your phone at night does not allow you to fall asleep.
Most cases can be dealt with at home to keep your skin healthy. If your skin is very sensitive and cracks causing it to bleed or if your blisters turn into ulcers. Talk to your doctor immediately. Damaged skin causes an increased risk of infection.