GLYCOLIC PEEL TREATMENT IN WESTLAKE VILLAGE, CA
Setiba Medical Spa offers Glycolic Peel treatment in Westlake Village, CA great for both men and women.
Glycolic acid is an alpha-hydroxy acid, derived from sugar cane, sugar beets, and other substances. It’s used as a medium-strength chemical peel. Glycolic acid has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Perfect for treatment of oily, dull skin and blackheads.
Glycolic peel is formulated to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, photo-aging, dull skin, and skin imperfections. It provides deep exfoliation to even out the complexion and makes skin radiant.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
To help you decide whether this treatment is right for you, you should read the following facts.
Glycolic acid peels are the most common alpha-hydroxy acid peels used by dermatologists. When used correctly, they’re considered safe and cause no downtime for people who get them. To acquire optimal results, you may require several peels over a period of time as determined by a doctor. Glycolic acid peels have proven benefits in the treatment of several skin conditions:
Glycolic acid has the smallest molecules of all AHAs, allowing it to deeply penetrate the skin. It gently removes dead skin cells, quickly exfoliating the skin and leaving you with a more even toned, smoother and brighter complexion.
The deep skin penetration of glycolic acid also enables other ingredients ,as well as products applied afterwards ,to penetrate deeper into skin, helping them to be more effective and their results more visible.
Recovery times will vary based on the type and strength of the peel. Immediately after the peel, your skin will feel tight and may be red. Any visible peeling will be light and fluffy and easily controlled with moisturizer. Peeling usually lasts 3-5 days, depending on the actual peel treatment. Use of gentle cleanser, moisturizer and sunscreen is important, as it will enhance the healing process and results. Normal activity may be resumed after the peel, however strenuous exercise and heavy sweating should be avoided for 2-3 days. Sun exposure should be avoided while skin is peeling; exposure of treated skin to a lot of heat should also be avoided as it may induce swelling, redness and for deeper peels blisters under the skin. Peeling skin should be allowed to slough off naturally; picking or peeling of flaking skin is prohibited, as it may lead to scarring. Use of prescription topicals should be avoided for 3-5 days post peel.
Peeling will generally start 48-72 hours after your treatment and can last 2-5 days. It is very important not to pick off peeling skin; peeling is minimal and easily controlled with moisturizer. Premature peeling of the skin will result in dry, cracked, raw skin that may develop into hyperpigmentation.
Depending on the formula used, you may have some discomfort while it is actively treating your skin. If you have a lighter peel, you will probably feel some stinging, but it goes away quickly with a handheld fan. Medium and deep peels are good for deeper damage and offer results that last a long time, but they are typically more uncomfortable. Topical anesthetics, medications, and ointments can be applied to minimize your discomfort during the treatment. A member of our team will give you tips on skin care after your chemical peel to extend your results.
- The peeling may take anywhere from 7-10 days on average or longer depending on internal and external factors such as skin type, age, weather, lifestyle, and hormones. Slight redness and skin sensitivity and flaking can occur as your treatment eliminates dead surface skin cells. Each treatment may vary. Other areas of the body will react differently because your skin has a different texture on your face and scalp than on your chest, back, arms, and legs. The healing process may take longer in those areas.
- Your skin may take on a rough, patchy, darkened quality a few days after this treatment. This is normal and expected and it will resolve on its own. The first areas to peel are usually around the nose and mouth, but can begin anywhere. Most people begin peeling on the 3rd or 4th day after treatment. It is also possible to not peel at all. If this occurs, you will still benefit from the treatment because the skin has exfoliated microscopically.
- Possible side effects include but are not limited to: mild to extreme redness, temporary tightness, itching, swelling, and dryness of the skin similar to a sunburn or windburn. This will usually subside in 2-3 days. A prescription of hydrocortisone, or over-the-counter hydrocortisone (Vanicream HCⓇ) may be recommended if the skin is inflamed or irritated.
- You may GENTLY apply a cold compress to the treated area(s) as needed for any burning or irritation associated with your treatment.
- Make sure to avoid excessive heat on the treated area and direct sun exposure of any kind, as well as tanning beds and self-tanners to the treated areas for 4 weeks after treatment.
- Do NOT engage in strenuous exercise for 2-3 days after treatment because it may exacerbate the inflammatory and can cause your skin to become extremely inflamed.
- Sweating excessively after treatment can irritate the skin or cause blistering due to the sweat being unable to escape through the top layer of dead skin. Try to avoid sweating until after you have stopped peeling to avoid lifting the skin prematurely, as this can cause scarring.
- Do NOT use any acidic products such as retinoids or tretinoins, acne medication products such as Retin-A , Tazorac , Renova , Atralin ,Ziana , Veltin , Differin , the antibiotic Doxycycline, AHAs (lactic, glycolic, tartaric, etc.), BHAs (salicylic), benzoyl peroxide, vitamin C products, lightening agents such as hydroquinone or any exfoliative products including loofahs or coarse sponges to your skin for 2 weeks after your chemical peel, or more if you notice your skin becomes sensitive to application. These medications and products increase your photosensitivity, which can significantly increase the likelihood of complications.
- Do NOT tweeze, pick, rub, exfoliate, wax, use a depilatory, undergo electrolysis, or schedule a facial or cosmetic service such as laser resurfacing, or IPL on a treated area(s) for 4 weeks after your treatment. To reduce the risk of scarring, you do not want to remove the dry, rough, dead skin faster than your body wants to.
- Do NOT get your hair dyed until a week after you have finished peeling, if your treatment was performed on the face or neck. For most people, week 3 post-peel is the best time to have your hair color treated.
- This procedure can stimulate cold sores. If you have an outbreak after your treatment, please call the office to inquire about obtaining a prescription. Please ask to speak with the esthetician, Alli.
How to Care for your Skin Post-Peel
- Cleanse Gently: Your skin may be fragile for 5-7 days. Cleanse your skin with COOL water (hot water will cause inflammation to the skin) using only your fingertips – no washcloths, loofahs, buff puffs, sponges, Clarisonic , etc.
- Moisturize Often: Letting the skin dry out may cause discomfort. We recommend using moisturizer to help your skin recover. When you start to peel, use a non-comedogenic moisturizer until the skin feels back to normal. This will promote the healing process by locking in moisture and reducing the chance of a bacterial infection, redness, and irritation. Use those products several times per day or as needed. Topical hydrocortisone may be recommended, depending on your specific needs.
- Protect Your Skin: Heat and sun exposure can cause inflammation to the skin. Remember to avoid excessive heat on the treated area and direct sun exposure of any kind, as well as tanning bed sand self-tanners to the planned treatment areas for 4 weeks after treatment. If you need to be outdoors, make sure to use an umbrella or wear a large-brimmed hat, a pair of sunglasses, and use a physical sunblock (containing zinc oxide and titanium dioxide). Other sunscreen products may be recommended depending on your specific needs.
THE RESULTS SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES
Just check out these before and after images. By enhancing your already beautiful features, we empower you to be your best self and promise a side serving of complements.
WHAT A FEW OF OUR CLIENTS SAY
Setiba Medical Spa is the new safe haven to help you in keeping your skin nourished and rejuvenated.
We are driven to deliver nothing but the best and safest treatments for our customer’s satisfaction.
FOLLOW US ON INSTAGRAM
Setiba Medical Spa is the number one medical spa provider in Westlake Village, Thousand Oaks and Beverly Hills California. Free Consultation 805-703-0000. Follow us on Instagram and see for yourself some of the experiences and transformations.