PRP MICRONEEDLING TREATMENT IN WESTLAKE VILLAGE, CA
Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) is concentrated blood plasma that contains up to 12 times more platelets than found in circulating blood. Additionally, PRP contains growth factors and bioactive proteins that are known to aid in healing wounds and have been shown in some early studies to promote hair growth. PRP has been successfully used in other medical specialties such as orthopedics and plastic surgery. PRP may be of value not only in patients with pattern baldness, both male and female but also in other forms of hair loss such as telogen effluvium and alopecia areata.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
During your consultation, We will determine whether or not you are a candidate for PRP treatments. During your initial consultation, we will evaluate the type and stage of hair loss you are experiencing to determine the most appropriate treatment options available to you. PRP is NOT a treatment for everyone. Depending upon your age, sex, and stage of hair loss you may be a better candidate for other medical treatments or even hair restoration surgery. As your advocate, Setiba will provide you with an informative discussion of the pros and cons of all available treatments so you make the proper decisions for your particular situation.
PRP treatments are done in the office and take about 75 minutes. Approximately 60ml of your blood will be drawn and then the centrifuge process takes about 25 minutes to prepare the final 7 of 8 ml of PRP. Because PRP injections are somewhat uncomfortable most of our patients choose to have local anesthesia injections prior to the treatment. A "ring block" using lidocaine is injected in a halo-like pattern around the top of the head. Additionally, our office offers "Pro-Nox" patient-controlled nitrous oxide (laughing gas) for those patients who wish additional comfort measures. Sedation is not required for PRP treatments. After the treatment area has been numbed we will administer the PRP treatment which takes approximately 15 minutes. After the PRP injections are complete we apply cold compresses as you relax for approximately 15 minutes before being discharged.
PRP treatments are performed every 6 weeks for the first three treatments in most patients. Then, a 4th and 5th treatment are performed at 3-month intervals. After 5 treatments maintenance treatments are performed every 6 to 12 months depending upon your response and therapeutic goals.
After your PRP treatment, your scalp will stay numb for approximately one hour and may feel heavy or tight. This is normal and will subside within a few hours. Also, it is normal for your scalp to be sore for a few days especially when pressed or massaged. Some patients experience swelling after PRP and sometimes this swelling can extend onto the forehead, nasal bridge or around the eyelids. Should this happen swelling will subside in a few days. If becoming swollen is a concern please discuss with us before your treatment so we may discuss options to reduce the likelihood of swelling after your PRP procedure.
PRP Hair Restoration Pre-Treatment Instructions
- If you are taking any blood thinners, please let the doctor know immediately, as they may represent a contra-indication to this treatment. These medications include Plavix, Coumadin and Heparin.
- You may use Tylenol (acetaminophen) as needed prior to the treatment.
- If you are taking broad beta-blockers such as Inderal (Propranolol), please contact the doctor as this medication may need to be changed to a select beta-blocker in advance of the treatment.
- If possible, please refrain from, or minimize, smoking three days prior to and one day after the treatment. Smoking may impact healing and oxygen delivery to the scalp, therefore, your results may be improved the longer you are able to stop smoking before and after the treatment.
- Prescription medications (including heart and blood pressure medication) should be taken as prescribed right up to, and including, the day of and the day after your treatments.
- Minimize alcoholic consumption the day prior to your PRP treatment.
THE MORNING OF YOUR TREATMENT
- Shower the morning of your treatment and wash your hair very thoroughly using your regular shampoo. Do not apply sprays, gels, or any other styling products to your hair. If you wear a hair system, please remove it prior to shampooing and do not wear it before your PRP treatments.
- Eat regularly the morning of your treatment and please drink approximately 16 oz of water at least 2 hours prior to your treatment.
- Sedation is NOT required for PRP treatments. However, if you prefer, you may receive sedatives during the procedure. As these can make you drowsy, you cannot drive yourself home following your treatment after taking sedatives. Please arrange to have a responsible person drive you to your destination. If you are unable to have someone drive you home after your procedure and you live near our office, we will call a taxi for you and you will be responsible for the charges. If you need to drive
yourself, you must make the doctor aware of your intention prior to the treatments.
PRP Hair Restoration Post-Treatment Instructions
- DO NOT touch, press, rub or manipulate the treated area(s) for at least 8 hours after your treatment.
- Avoid Advil, Aleve, Aspirin, Ibuprofen, Motrin, Naprosyn, (all non-steroidal antiinflammatory agents), Vitamin A, Vitamin E, Gingko Biloba, Garlic, Flax Oil, Cod Liver, Essential Fatty Acids (EPA, DHA), for at least 1 week prior to and 2 weeks after your treatment. Remember, our goal is to create inflammation. These listed medications will limit or prevent inflammation, which can diminish your results. If you must take Aspirin for cardiac reasons, you certainly may do so, but this may limit your results.
- It is normal to experience bruising, redness, itching, swelling and/or soreness that may last from 2-5 days following your procedure. If you experience any pain or discomfort you may take Tylenol or other Acetaminophen-containing products as directed.
- We would prefer if you could refrain from applying ice to the injected area as ice acts as an antiinflammatory.
- Do not wet your hair for at least 3 hours after your treatment.
- For the first 3 days, use shampoo that is pH balanced.
- Do not use any hair products for at least 6 hours after your treatment.
- Avoid saunas, steam rooms, swimming for 2 days after your treatment.
- Avoid vigorous exercise, sun and heat exposure for at least 2 days after your treatment.
- Avoid alcohol, caffeine, and cigarettes for 3 days after treatment. Smokers do not heal well and problems recur earlier and results may take longer.
- Avoid resuming Minoxidil (Formula 82M, Rogaine®) or hair coloring or
straightening for 3 days.
- Continue increased water intake the first week after your treatment.
- Please do not hesitate to call our office should you have any questions or concerns regarding your PRP treatment or aftercare.
THE RESULTS SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES
Just check out these before and after images. By enhancing your already beautiful features, we empower you to be your best self and promise a side serving of complements.
WHAT A FEW OF OUR CLIENTS SAY
Setiba Medical Spa is the new safe haven to help you in keeping your skin nourished and rejuvenated.
We are driven to deliver nothing but the best and safest treatments for our customer’s satisfaction.
FOLLOW US ON INSTAGRAM
Setiba Medical Spa is the number one medical spa provider in Westlake Village, Thousand Oaks and Beverly Hills California. Free Consultation 805-703-0000. Follow us on Instagram and see for yourself some of the experiences and transformations.